Sunday, January 3, 2010

Lions and Tigers and Bear Mountain!

"There's nothing to do in Rockland!"
It's a sentence I've heard come out of my mouth plenty of times. It's the universal complaint of most kids who grew up in the suburbs. We say nothing in the county is more than 20 minutes away, but drive 20 minutes and you're surrounded by more neighborhoods, schools and places to eat. But if you drive 20 minutes north, you're at Bear Mountain.

My only memory of Bear Mountain was when my dad would force me to go to take pictures of my brother and I in front of the foliage. But this time I was there with Steve and Justin, and I was the photographer.

Instead of outdoor ice skating (which could have been awesome had it not been sold out), we ventured around the park, went hiking and even forged across a larger than average stream. (We made it across mostly dry, the wagon stayed together and no one caught dysentery)

But before the flashback to Oregon Trail, we went back to our childhoods where a Merry-Go-Round was waiting for us! The dollar per person ride not only had photos of Rockland and other parts of the Hudson Valley through the years, it also had a variety of animals to enjoy the ride on!

We ended the day with hot chocolate and future plans to come back when the Bear Mountain Lodge re-opens, to go ice skating, and to enjoy Oktoberfest later in the year.
So I guess I can say I found one thing to do in Rockland.

1 comment: