Thursday, January 21, 2010

Journalists? No, just hungry college kids.

I've become a fan of Caramel Creams in the past few months. Those individually wrapped chews that are caramel on the outside but that funny cream-like stuff on the inside. I know it's all sugar, but I can't help myself, I've recently started liking them. I even picked up a small bag of them at CVS so I can treat myself to one (or two) while at work.

I think my new love for them comes directly from my old job. The journalists I worked with were a lot of things. They were a little crazy (or A LOT crazy), sometimes abrasive, fast thinkers and hopefully objective. But really, at the heart of it all, these journalists were just college kids looking to mooch wherever they could.

Whether it was a holiday, a birthday, a Tuesday, dayside or weekend overnights, there was always something to eat in that newsroom. Well, not always. It was there, and then be gone five minutes later after the vultures I worked with swooped in and ate every last crumb. And besides the special treats at the assignment desk, everyday at 12:30 on the dot, our VP of News' Assistant would fill two little bowls of candy for everyone to take. It was different everyday, and could be M&M's, fun size chocolate bars, Rolos, Reese's Pieces or Caramel Creams. It was always nice to grab a handful after I finished producing the 1pm show (if there was any left).

Do I miss this? Sort of. But I have a desk drawer dedicated to snacks, dried fruit and different types of teas at my new job. And every time we have a satellite media tour, there's always leftover bagels and fruit and other pastries that we can totally swoop in on and enjoy.

So really, it's not just journalists that with the mindsets of poor hungry college kids. We're everywhere, searching for the next morsel of free food. Hoping there's enough so you don't even have to go out and buy lunch.

Wow, hop on the train to weight gain city...next stop, my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment