Monday, January 11, 2010

Awkward Conversation Protocol

I love and miss the MD/DC/VA area. I now mostly miss my friends, but one of the great things living 250 miles away from home was the minuscule chance that I'd run into someone from high school, who honestly, are nice people, but I just don't really care about seeing.

That luxury is gone.

I've been home exactly a month this week, and I've run into four people from high school and one ex-boyfriend from college. Really?! It's not like I'm running into them in the same places. It's at a wide assortment of activities, like running through Penn Station, killing time in a bookstore in Brooklyn, or taking the S train to work in the morning.

I'm not trying to be mean; there is nothing wrong with running into people from high school. It's nice to have that "blast from the past moment" where you picture in your head what the person looked like six years ago and compare. (Hummm, he's bigger, Oooo, she learned how to use make up, Oh, he came out of the closet) The problem is what do you say after "Hi! How are you?"

You ask what they have been up to, what they do now, and if they are still with so and so, but then how do you make a clean break? You look for a friend to bail you out, or the moment when you realize you're going in different directions. But what if that doesn't come? Quick, think of something!!

"Umm, we'll I'll let you get back to what you were doing. Good luck with everything"
"Hey, look over there!" (dart in other direction)
"Well, have a great night. See you randomly somewhere else in New York in a few years."

Can that work?

No comments:

Post a Comment