Sunday, January 10, 2010

11 Best Foods I Probably Won't Eat For Awhile

I've been living at home for almost a month now, and so far it's been quite enjoyable. I consider myself a semi-nomad. I am a repeat couch guest at my brother and friend's apartments. But one thing I do notice in my new travels in the boroughs and suburbs is just how difficult it is to continuously eat healthy when you don't have your own kitchen to fill.

I know for a fact that, compared to many of my friends, I'm an average healthy eater. I enjoy "good for you foods", but I've also been told by different people that they love going to out to dinner with me because I like ordering dessert. :) In the last year or so (in many ways thanks to Steve), I have started to enjoy going to the grocery store. Picking out fresh fruit and veggies. Finding fun foods to make into quick and easy delicious treats. And, also thanks to Steve, I am a bit bias. I have a new love, and his name is Trader Joe. And my second crush? Harris Teeter.

But the problem? Its turned into long distance relationships. There is not one TJ's in my county. The closest? Wayne, NJ...or Brooklyn. And Harris Teeter? There's one in Hoboken. Not exactly my "Neighborhood Grocery Stores."

And the other problem? I could stock my brother's kitchen while I'm staying with him in the city (pasta and potato chips does not a meal make), but going to his local grocery store on the East Side, and it's suburb-quality food with jacked-up city prices. Why does going 20 miles south mean a bag of apples or some prepared meatballs double, or almost triple in price?

This food rant actually only began after I read this article: The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating. I told myself I want to eat more of these foods, but then I started to wonder how I'm going to actually keep them when I'm not in the same house/kitchen more than 3 or so days? It's a goal that may have to wait until I move into a city-sized shoebox.

Excuse me while I go check on the brownies I just made with my Mom. :)

1 comment:

  1. Might I suggest a new favorite... Fairway! There is one in Paramus and one on the upper west side (74th).

    There is also a Trader Joes in Union Square, not exactly near your brother but closer than brooklyn. Plus there are a number of fun small grocery stores and farmers markets in the city.

    I also enjoy all the ethnic markets that can be found in NYC such as the Indian markets near Murray Hill.

    ReplyDelete