Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Obamacare...Now What?

I was able to stealthy stream CNN live on my computer today at work to watch President Obama sign out nation's health care bill into law. There is still the hurdle of passing changes in the Senate, but most likely, change is a-commin'.

Even though I don't work in news anymore, I do my best to keep up with the constant 24-hour news cycle, (Even if it means watching NY1 "read the newspaper." I wish I was kidding, it's part of the Saturday morning newscast. Guess that's where "How I Met Your Mother" got the idea) Anyway, one thing I did notice was although the news was giving me "some" idea of what this health care bill means, I didn't feel like I was getting the whole picture; the good, the bad and the "what the heck?"

I'm not going to give my opinion, because honestly, I'm still forming it. There is so much to absorb from the 2,000+ page document. It actually makes me question who sat down and read the whole thing. I'm also trying to find the Cliffsnotes version of it, so if you know where it is, send it my way.

But here is what I've found so far in my research that I find truly helpful:

1. This is a great interactive graphic from the New York Times that lets you know the changes depending on your current insurance status. If you're employed and your company provides insurance, it gives you the positive and negative changes that will come with this bill.

2. Here's a timeline of when each change will take effect from now until 2018. Most of us know the highlights, like being able to stay on your parent's coverage until 26, but what about the provision that will give tax relief for health care professionals with student loans? I didn't know that was in there. That will take effect this year.

3. Take a gander at Politico's series entitled "Health Care Diagnosis." From articles, to video interviews to interactive graphics, they spill it out for you. No wonder Mike Allen was running around the newsroom at 4am on Saturdays and Sundays. There's a lot to cover. (Politico shares a newsroom with Newschannel 8 and WJLA; he was at least a little company on my overnight shift!)

I'm still not done fishing around for answers so please pass along any materials that can help provide a better understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment