Monday, March 22, 2010

It's Funner With A Runner

I am surrounded by people who love to run. I left a bunch of marathoners in DC. My current roommate is training for a marathon. Another friend in Brooklyn would wake up at 5am to get a run in before grad school classes. I have a friend who blogs about it. My brother is currently training for a triathlon. I just can't get away from those feet-pounding, knee-icing, stretch-loving fitness freaks.
And if that wasn't enough peer pressure, I have a boyfriend who's looking for a running buddy now that the warmer weather has finally arrived.

So I gave in.

I knew the weather this weekend would be my downfall. You couldn't ignore how nice it was. Prime running weather. I had no feasible excuse. So we laced up our sneakers and hit the pavement. Both of us pretty much took a "it's too cold outside and we are too cheap to pay for a gym membership" hiatus from running, so we eased in with a mile and a half run around his neighborhood.

I might regret publishing this, but honestly, it was not bad at all.

We kept up a good pace, and before I knew it, we were more than half way done with the course we created for ourselves. I even sprinted at two separate points in the journey, and liked it. Gasp!
This does not mean I'm signing up for the New York City Marathon tomorrow. Nor does it mean I'll categorize myself with my "runner" friends. But I've already planned to run one day after work and again this weekend with the boy, so I guess that's a start.

Did I just unlace Pandora's sneakers? Will I fall in love with running? I've tried to and failed before, but I guess this time I'm willing to give this relationship a second chance.

4 comments:

  1. "Both of us pretty much took a "it's too cold outside and we are too cheap to pay for a gym membership" hiatus from running"

    Ummmm for real....was your hiatus like three years lol? You make it sound like you just took three months off from your normal running schedule hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work team Sam and Steve! Will you be running in Brooklyn this weekend per chance? Mazol Tov! You should keep this post around when you are running tell miles and are dying of heat exaustion this summer! Enjoy, let your hair out and JUST RUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, Jess!

    Best of luck to you, Sam! Running was never something I could get into, although I did enjoy runs through Riverside Park when I lived up that way. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the record, I 110% support anyone starting to run. Obvi I try to get people to do it all the time.

    But I also 110% support blog honesty. You can't take a "hiatus" from an activity that you never participated in with any regularity to begin with.

    ReplyDelete