Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pilates in the Park

It's a good thing I watch the news and read newspapers. How would I know that it's freakin' hot outside without them?

It's day two of Hotmagaddon (it's like Snowpocalypse, only hotter) and I haven't completely melted yet. My subway car had no air conditioning this morning (awful!), but besides that, I'll keep praying to the A/C Gods that my little window A/C that could keeps pumping that sweet, sweet cold air.

Even with the temperature rising, I thought an 100 degree day was the perfect time to take a free outdoors pilates class. I'm serious.

The recently renovated Brooklyn Bridge Park is offering free pilates classes every Tuesday until Labor Day, and I would be a fool to pass up free gym classes. So I brought my mat to work and sprinted out of the office to make it to class on time.

I was sweaty by the time I got to class (not good); however, I hydrated all day at work (very good), so I was ready to face the heat. I hadn't been to the park before, but I had heard that it was very pretty and had great views of the bridge and downtown Manhattan, and it did not disappoint.



Pretty decent quality for a 2-year-old Sprint Flip Phone. Take that IPhone! And look how many people showed up! I'm not the only crazy one!

I made sure to get a spot next to the river so I could really feel the breeze from the water. Granted, it wasn't much cooler than the air temperature, but I'll take what I can get. I almost completely forgot how hot it was as soon as the class picked up the pace. Then I saw how sweaty I was when I got home, and I remembered.

Anyway, the class kicked my butt (well more like kicked my abs, arms and back) into shape and I left feeling absurdly sweaty, but really proud of myself for facing the heat and getting in a really interesting workout.

I plan on going as much as I can. Anyone in NYC looking for an exercise buddy?

No comments:

Post a Comment