Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Where are my Peanuts and Cracker Jacks?

My elementary school gym teacher, Mr. Fitz, taught me the correct way to throw a baseball.

Sideways, step and throw.

My Dad taught me everything else.

I remember playing catch with him in the front yard in my softball days. He'd always remind me to snap my wrist to make sure the ball actually travels straight. He even taught me "windmill" style when I became my team's pitcher back in 5th grade.

Well finally, I got to see Dear Ol' Dad in action.

My Dad has played on his company's softball team for a long as I can remember. But I think only recently since he's become the resident "older guy" on the team that he really enjoys it. And now that I live back in New York, and my apartment is in Brooklyn near where they play, AND my roommate works/plays for the rival company team, I knew it would only be a matter of time before I'd be behind that chain-linked fence watching him play.

Company softball is a lot more competitive than I ever realized. Maybe it was because they were playing their "arch rivals", but these guys were really into it. The team's coach doesn't go by the "everyone should get a chance to play, it's just company softball" motto, so I had to bite my tongue so as to not yell at him to let my Dad play with the younger, slightly faster guys.



Here's my Dad with his friend, Andy, catching.

Once my Dad did get in, he got on base with a single and then the next time up he knocked it out of the park (if there was a fence) but the umpire called it foul. (I was there, it was NOT foul)

It was really great to see my Dad play the sport he's loved growing up. I knew he played at Queens College, but I had no idea until now just how good he probably was. For the most part, he's still got it.

Oh and by the way, they won. Go Highliners!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment