Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Going Up...Or Not

"Love in an elevator, livin' it up while we're going down" - Aerosmith

That wasn't my elevator experience this morning. You know your day is pretty much going downhill when you can't go down, or up, in your elevator.

The box full of metal and winding parts started its journey up fine. It opened and closed on levels four and six, but somehow made the decision that, "You know, the 6Th floor is high enough for me today. I think I'll just stay there and trap the one lonely passenger inside."

The doors shut on the 6Th floor, and nothing happens. I thought for a second I was imaging it and I was moving at hyper speed. But that wasn't the case. I tried knocking on the door to see if the person who just got off the elevator was still there, but no answer. I fumble for my phone, but instead I look to the buttons for an answer.

I hit the alarm button:
Voice from inside elevator: "What seems to be the trouble, ma'am?"
Me: "Well, umm, the elevator doors closed and it doesn't seem to be moving."
Voice from inside elevator: "Oh alrighty."
(Doors magically open)

I awkwardly get out of the elevator, while the lady at the front desk on the 6Th floor stares blankly at me. I couldn't get to stairs from that lobby, so I had to wait for another elevator to take me up the last two flights.

I've had nightmares about being stuck in an elevator alone. But usually the lights are out, it's storming and suddenly there is no oxygen left.

But maybe it was the good night sleep I got or the delicious oatmeal I had for breakfast, but I did not panic when the elevator hung in-between floors. I knew I had cell phone service because I've made plenty of calls in there, and I thought it would be a good excuse why I was running late to work.

This little misadventure was the only few moments I had to myself this morning. And it gave me a story to tell before I discovered the insanity that awaited me at work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment