Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Shuffling Around The Newsroom

I've dealt with a lot of interesting characters during my short time in the working world. Being in a newsroom will give you that opportunity. One person whom I didn't actually work with, but had the chance be "in the presence of" was Politico reporter, Mike Allen.
There is this fantastic article about the illusive, eccentric reporter in the New York Times magazine. Preview here.

The few times I ever interacted with him were:
1. Producing for "Newstalk". He was a frequent guest (it's easy when it's 10 steps from his desk) and would always came up with the best talking points, and he was one of the few guests I would actively pay attention to when I produced the show. Most times, it was a struggle to stay awake.
2. Awkwardly bumping into him in the newsroom. Literally.
3. Walking by his desk and wondering how anyone could get work done (or even fit in it) when there were so many papers, wrappers and other mementos surrounding him. But he always had an open box of some kind of cookie that was free for public eating.
4. (My favorite) Actually talking to him during my weekend shift. I was always curious to know why someone would willingly be in the newsroom at 5 o'clock in the morning on a Sunday. He would shuffle in and out of desks and then would suddenly disappear, like a fart in the wind. He did one time come up to me and said:

Mike: "You shouldn't be here by yourself this early."
Me: "Darryl (in charge of the assignment desk) is here."
Mike: "Oh" (shuffles away)
Me: "Thank you?"

Very exciting, I know. But when you talk to the guy who write the articles that top White House officials, Washington big wigs and news junkies read on a daily basis, any interaction with him seems kinda cool.

The article also inspired me to sign up for his daily Politico Playbook e-mails. Not just because Katie Couric is on the mailing list, but as illusive and "weird" as he might be, he sure as hell knows what he's talking about in terms of the inner workings of our political system.

No comments:

Post a Comment