Monday, June 7, 2010

Sweet and Sour Awesomeness

New York will never cease to amaze me. After a successful (and slightly overwhelming) trip to Fairway in Red Hook, Brooklyn with Steve (really great supermarket, TONS of free samples),we stumbled into this just a few blocks away.

A key lime pie stand, in Brooklyn? Did we discover a hole in the time space continuum and end up in Key West?

My love for Key Lime began, where else, in college as a recipe taster for my roommate, Amy. She made a delicious frozen lime pie that made me fall in love with all things lime. And then there were the key lime cupcakes; I was pretty much sold after that.

This pie shop, or pie garage is what it looked more like, only sells one thing: pies. And lots of them. Steve and I decided to split a mini-pie. Fairly reasonable at just $4.



It was like taking small bites of sweet, sour and delicious heaven. No artificial colors, flavors or additives. Just key limes, pie crust and awesomeness.

And what added to the "gem-like" status of this place, was the beautiful garden that surrounds the slightly dilapidated parking lot, as well as the view of the New York Harbor and the Statue of Liberty in the distance. (Wish I had a picture, sorry! I'll just have to go back! And next time, I'm getting this.)

1 comment:

  1. Check out the 1st pics, about 1/2 way down the page. Frozen key lime pie slice dipped in chocolate. It was HEAVEN. If you are ever in Key West, and you should go, just not in August like I did, you will love kermits.
    http://www.keylimeshop.com/html/key_lime_pie.html

    Oh, and thanks for the shout outs. I love inspiring and broadening your pallete :)

    ReplyDelete